Applying for a Commercial Filming Park Use Permit
All commercial film production activities in a provincial park or protected area must be authorized by a valid park use permit issued by the Ministry of Environment (BC Parks).
BC Parks' commercial filming application form must be submitted to the Permit Authorization Service Bureau five business days in advance of any proposed set-up and/or commercial filming activities within BC Parks. Contact information is available for each region.
Before You Apply
Familiarize yourself with the Ministry of Environment's Commercial Filming Guidelines and Commercial Filming Policy . Understanding these will assist you in your production planning.
Only applications that are considered by BC Parks to be compatible with the conservation and recreation objectives identified for the park or protected area(s) involved in the proposal will be considered.
Please keep in mind the following:
- commercial filming activities must be approved in principle by a BC Parks Representative, either by phone or following a pre-authorization site meeting prior to submitting an application.
- Submission of an application does not entitle the applicant to any rights or permission to proceed with any activity in any protected area.
- BC Parks reserves the right to refuse any application.
- More information may be requested from the applicant during review of the application.
- All applications are subject to a review under the BC Parks Impact Assessment Process.
- Final approval will only be given upon receipt of a completed BC Certificate of Insurance for Comprehensive General Liability to a value of $2 million, appropriate financial bonding and payment of the permit fee.
- Upon submission of a complete application and application fee, allow 5 business days for preparation of the permit documents following our receipt of your application and application fee.
- Other permits may be required (e.g. Wildlife Act).
A non-refundable application fee of $500.00 (plus applicable taxes) is required. Payments can be made by cheque, certified cheque, or money order made payable to Minister of Finance.
Visa/Mastercard/American Express may also be used via this authorization form.
***Please note: authorization form must NOT be emailed***
The appropriate tax legislation can be seen here: Park Use Permit Fees.
* Other fees may apply, please refer to Commercial Filming Policy.
Film companies must maintain and pay for Commercial (General) Liability Insurance with insurers licensed in British Columbia, in an amount no less than $2,000,000.00. A Province of British Columbia Certificate of Insurance must accompany your application. Certificate of insurance must be filled out and signed by your insurance broker.
Include the following mandatory elements:
- Application Form:
- Company name, address, phone #, fax #, email address.
- Park/protected area name where commercial filming will take place.
- Period of use (duration time frame).
- Brief summary of proposed activity:
- Map and names of areas within the park where you will be commercial filming, and are available on the Park pages on the BC Parks website.
- Number of people and vehicles (circus size).
- Equipment/special effects used for commercial filming (vehicles, helicopters, animals, artificial snow, etc.).
Download the commercial film park use permit application form
All applications and fees (credit card authorization) must go to the Permit and Authorization Service Bureau either by fax or mail.
Permit and Authorization Service Bureau
Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations
PASB – Park Use Permits
PO Box 9371 STN PROV GOVT
Victoria BC V8W 9M3
If you have further questions or require additional information regarding the Permitting process, please call:
- Toll free, and outside of B.C.: 866-433-7272#3